When you hear the word sciatica, a sharp, searing leg pain would come to mind. Many different methods are available to cure sciatica nerve pain and chiropractic therapy holds a prominent place among them.
Before discovering how chiropractic treatments can be used to treat sciatica, it is important to have a clear understanding of this health condition. Sciatica is defined as an irritation to the sciatic nerve. The sciatic nerve is considered to be the biggest and the longest nerve that can be found in the human body. It originates from the lower back and flows into the toes in both feet.
What Are Common Sciatica Nerve Pain Symptoms?
Unbearable shooting pain can be considered as the most common symptom that is linked with sciatica nerve pain. In addition, you may experience burning, weakness and numbness into your legs. As mentioned earlier, chiropractic treatments are widely being used by this group of people in order to get rid of the symptoms of sciatica. The chiropractic treatments are non-surgical and non-invasive. Depending on tolerance, pain medication is optional while going through the treatments as well. Therefore, it is one of the best methods available to treat sciatica without experiencing any frustrating side effects.
The exact chiropractic care rendered would depend on the root cause of sciatica. Therefore, you need to seek the guidance of a professional chiropractor. Your chiropractor will analyze the conditions under which the sciatica nerve pain is being produced and recommend the best treatment plan for you with a reasonable prognosis.
What Are Some Causes?
- Lumbar degenerative disc disease
- Spinal stenosis
- Arthritis of the spine
- Sitting for long periods of time
- Piriformis syndrome
What Are Your Treatment Options?
Here is a list of some of the most prominent chiropractic treatment modalities that are being offered for individuals who are suffering from sciatica nerve pain:
- Spinal Manipulation (Adjustment) – This can be considered as the core of chiropractic treatments. The restricted movement of the spine would be set free by this type of treatment. In addition, it can help restore mobility at the vertebral level if any fixations are detected. As a result, it keeps the unbearable sharp, shooting pain associated with sciatica at bay.
- Ultrasound Therapy – Ultrasound technology gives life to gentle heat through sound waves. These sound waves move deep into the tissues of the body. Then the sound waves would increase the circulation of blood under the tissues. Moreover, it provides the person under care the opportunity to mute pain, stiffness, swelling, cramping, and spasms while experiencing the full benefits of chiropractic treatment.
- Cryotherapy – Ice therapy is used to treat tissue damage and muscle soreness that may accompany sciatica nerve pain. It assists in controlling the pain and inflammation at specific points of origin.
- TENS – TENS stands for Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation. This is a portable machine that is capable of stimulating your muscles. This battery powered device would give life to an electrical current with variable intensities. It diminishes the intensity of acute pain and muscle spasms. Your SF chiropractor may use larger versions of these medical devices to deliver effective results to people who are dealing with the unbearable pain of sciatica. Consult a professional when attempting to use this device for the proper placement of pads.
Keep reading about how sitting too long can affect your sciatica nerve pain.