You may know that acupuncture is an excellent holistic medicine for natural pain relief. Many patients initially come for neck, shoulder or back pain but also experience relief of anxiety, stress, and depression. It seems miraculous that just a few needles can have such a positive impact on so many aspects of health. This is because acupuncture for brain health has been scientifically proven.
Here are the acupuncture facts for the benefits of both physical and mental disease:
- Acupuncture releases neuropeptides into the central nervous system. This enhances communication between neurons and effector cells and stimulates your body’s self-healing process.
- Acupuncture releases endorphins, your body’s natural painkillers.
- It constricts blood vessels and releases vasodilators, which decrease cerebral blood pressure (headaches) and high blood pressure in the body (stress).
- Acupuncture releases neurotransmitters to bring you out of the sympathetic nervous system response (“fight or flight”). This reduces anxiety, insomnia, and stress and benefits digestion, fertility, and circadian rhythm (sleep/wake cycles).
- Acupuncture influences the release, synthesis, and reuptake of neurotransmitters serotonin and dopamine. This makes acupuncture an excellent option for treating depression.
- Acupuncture reduces brain fog by dropping excess cortisol levels. Cortisol is a hormone released by the adrenals when you are overly stressed. Reducing cortisol helps relieve stress, insomnia, blood pressure, and excess weight in the abdomen.
- Acupuncture closes the gate on hyperactive pain signal pathways. This allows relief from chronic pain due to the brain being overwhelmed by neurotransmitters that produce the sensation of pain over a long period of time.
In today’s fast-paced world with hard deadlines and high demands of our time and energy it is no wonder we are all a little stressed. Taking care of your mind is just as important as your body and in my experience both need to be addressed in order to have improvements that are permanent.
So, if you live or work near the SF Telegraph Hill – North Beach – Financial District and feel you would be a good candidate for our treatments, we would love to meet you. To schedule an appointment with our San Francisco Acupuncturist, please call 415–421–1115 or book an appointment online.